Thursday, October 04, 2007

Unfortunate Car Choices

It always seems that I have no taste when I comes to cars. The choices I make never seem to be as inspired as those of IG or Brew King. Listening them discussing cars, is like watching a finely tuned orchestra performing .... albeit playing dueling banjo's . :)

Regardless - I admit, as much as I may know about the inner workings of an automobile, the fact that I bothered to restore a 70's Ford Capri will forever cast a serious doubt over any street cred I may have had prior to that date. Building a second Capri with a Lexus V8 only serves to damn me further.

With all this in mind I found an article on the ten most over-rated cars. I would hasten to add a Capri is not mentioned. Here are the first two in the countdown. IG would say, that with advice like this, I may not have started down the dark path to car ignorance. It may be too late for me, but you may yet be saved.

10. Dodge Viper

Originally conceived to be a modern interpretation of the Shelby Cobra, the end result was somewhat, umm, bloated. The American mantra of "bigger is better" was applied liberally here, without anyone actually realising that this doesn't really apply to sports cars. The combination of a small car with a big engine always equates to "fast"; but the Viper wasn't a small car, so in this case the combination became a big, heavy car with a huge engine. A huge TRUCK engine. Add to that the fact that most of the suspension was sourced from the Dodge Dakota pickup and you've basically got a truck wrapped in a scaled up sports car body...

9. Citroen 2CV

Ahh, personality- the last desperate refuge of ugly, single people and crap cars. And in the case of the 2CV ugly, crap cars. Originally designed so that French peasants could drive to the market at 60 km/h across muddy unpaved roads with up to 100kg of stuff in the back, the 2CV was developed before World War 2 and during the German occupation of France Citroen management hid the prototypes from the Nazis, fearing some military application. What possible military application a "car" with a 6.5kW, 375cc, air cooled engine could possibly have escapes most right-thinking people, but then what possible use a "car" with a 6.5kW, 375cc, air cooled engine could possibly be on the road also escapes most right-thinking people, and yet they still sold nine million of `em...

No comments: