Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cynics beware

A month or so ago I attended a comprehensive First Aid course, and as a warm up to the course the nice lady instructor asked each of us in turn what TV shows we liked to watch. At the time I thought of House and Boston Legal. I've always admired David E Kelly's writing, and in Boston Legal he has done the seemingly impossible - taking Kirk away from Shatner and giving us Denny Crane in return.

Anyway, pleased with my "off the cuff" revelation (and not blurting out Americas Next Top Model instinctively), I was surprised that the instructor responded with "Oh - those shows are both so cynical". Those who know me would be shocked to learn that I was totally lost for words; devoid of any witty reply.

This whole episode has obviously left me emotionally scarred, as recently I made a list of the TV shows I love to watch when I have time. It turns out that at first glance, most do seem cynical and dark. There is however a constant theme of redemption running through most of the shows - which is probably the reason why I watch them. You have to love flawed characters with good intentions - especially when you don't tolerate them in real life :)

So - My Top 10 Shows (in no apparent order)

House
Dexter
Californication
Boston Legal
Battlestar Galactica
NCIS
Life on Mars
Outrageous Fortune
Americas Next Top Model - Tyra Mail!!!
Hells Kitchen

And while I'm still in my cynical space, feel free enjoy this clip that Gyro Stan sent me.
Cats can change - believe me - they just have to want to change :)


5 comments:

ren powell said...

I haven't seen a single one of these shows. That's what I get for not having cable.

When I was teaching somehow Seinfeld came up in the discussion. I said that all the characters were awful and I wouldn't want them for friends. My students gasped in horror. I guess it's different when you are on the inside safely being cynical.

Cat: Funny.

Mark J said...

You know the funny thing, and perhaps the reason why I was shocked?
I just don't see myself as cynical. Can you appreciate cynical characters and their motivations without being cynical yourself - I hope so :)

ren powell said...

Okay. I've been thinking all day about the first aid instructor and why she would ask what your favorite tv shows are or why she would care (or have a critical certainty) to say they are cynical. Admitting that there aren't a great many pollyannas out there isn't cynical, it's honest. Someone whose job must entail wrapping the bleeding heads of piss-soaked alcoholics at the train station surely would know better. Did she say what her favorite show was?

And- I don't think truly cynical people watch Next Top Model.

Mark J said...

Thank God for that - I was starting to worry that a first aid lady might make me doubt myself - that kind of power is only reserved for ... well anyone else actually :)

Curiously she never mentioned what show she watched - and thanks to you I will now always wonder...... :)

Have a great weekend Ren

Niamh said...

Hey! Why's everyone knocking cynicism? Someone recently accused me of having a 'cynic shield' and personally, I'm kinda chuffed about that. Sure beats blue spandex and red underpants