Thursday, January 26, 2006

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides


SweetP dropped in last night, and whilst chatting about her upcoming 1st date, surfed the findsomebody web site - helping me find "that" special person.
I would like to point out the "that" in no way measures up to "the" as in my previous post. "That" denotes the fact that this is a daunting and tiresome process - and four day's into Internet dating I'm beginning to feel jaded about the whole thing.

The whole first session you're online you think you're absolutely making progress- You get to be witty about your profile, waxing lyrical about youself and what you're looking for. The whole thing is new and exciting.

The second day you go in and see that the site has generated 100 hits for a potential match. Initially you want to be fair about the whole process - you start to look at all the profiles, taking each at their own merits. You carefully sort those who don't match you and behold! - more matches pop into view. For some strange reason I had hoped the process would have been more scientific.

Day three, you start you get smiles. Smiles are like small pop-up notes - telling you that someone is interested in you. If you're interested in them you can "smile" back. It's just like high school again - shudder....

So day four - and here I am. Ripping through profiles. Deleting some people for good reasons (must think God is the most important thing in your life) through to dubious ones (Not sure about wanting children or not).I feel shallow, pathetic and strangely - angry with myself. And the damn server mocks me by providing more matches.

So having got through the today without killing anyone (have come close), and not jumping out my window at work, I have come to the conclusion that the reason I'm a bit miffed is that it's not supposed to be this way. Damn it - Are you supposed meet your future wife on a Internet website?

Or perhaps online dating is the new Saturday night dance?

I raised this with Cloey - a work mate. I asked him, if when he went to the dance halls of old , with an onion tied to his waist (as was the fashion of the day), if raising the heels to the Charleston was a better way of meeting a life partner? I could imagine the scene (I offered).... riding to the community hall a-top the family oxen. Holding "his" lump of coal for the pot-belly stove. The lanterns and the garlic around the windows to ward off evil spirits. I mean... if you squinted and looked just so..... you could possibly see Peter Cushing in pursuit of Christopher Lee.

Needless to say he was not amused by my images of 70's New Zealand, but he did tell me how he met his lovely wife. And a lovely story it was too - well worthy to tell the children it was.

If I do meet someone on this web site - methinks I must concoct a tall tale indeed to put them off the trail.

Come Watson, the hunt is on!

1 comment:

Mark J said...

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar Tyler.

I wanted to take a break from reporting the news - to being a part of it.