Sunday, January 22, 2006

The dreams of ordinary men


It's a strange feeling when you finally discover that strange place you live in has seemingly become your home - overnight.
Of course it's never that easy a discovery to take. It's the little things about living in a big city that sneak up on you - the kind of things that you don't notice until you head back to the smaller town you came from.
Noticing the lack of crowds and traffic in a smaller city are the obvious ones - and believe me when I say it's a pleasant shock. You make a few jokes, write a few blogs, and realise how much a slower pace of life in Dunedin agrees with the human soul.
So - I'm now two weeks back in Auckland, and I'm noticing that I'm not noticing the crowds of different ethnic origins again, and I'm not using a map book to drive around the city as much as I used to. It's a major concern to me that I may have come "home" after all.
So why the concern? This is the year I have given myself to make some decisions about weather to stay here for a longer term - or head back to "Dunnoz", having "been there - done that" in Auckland. My job is great - and that's why I'm here, BUT work isnt everything, and recently I have felt that I'm not making the traction I have had previously. On the good news front I am assured that things will be changing at work but the carrot on the stick only works for so long - so we will have to wait and see if those promises eventuate.
So in the meantime I only have to worry about "getting out there" in the dating scene - My Mum, Sharz, SweetP, and Scrabble Queen are all looking for suitable girls, and I hate to say it but all this has turned me from a moderately contented lad into a nervous wreck who has started to wonder if his biological clock has just begun to tick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually my name is not anonymous, its IG and I agree with Tyler - As usual he is a shining beacon of truth in a shadowy world of confusion... I wish I was as smart as him... and a bit taller...

Mark J said...

IG: I wish I was as smart as him... and a bit taller...

Dont forget "Self improvement is masturbation."

Anonymous said...

Split personality Tyler?

I think MarkJ was responding to IG's comment re being smart, and a bit taller.

Why so defensive?