Thursday, January 05, 2006

My 70's Show



Meet my car. It’s 32 years old.
This car kept me sane in my last job as a Telecom employee. Well restoring it did anyway. Five years of slow methodical work – a calm in the storm that was my (work) life.
I didn’t finish it until after I left Dunedin and moved to Auckland to work for a much better company.
Every year at Christmas I come home, and pull back the car cover to reveal the same Christmas present – and it never stops making me smile.

Don’t get me wrong – this car isn’t fast, or well behaved. I get a lot of shit from my friends who think I’m a bit too anal about it – and to them I say “Well -Yes I am!”. This car is a throw back to the 70’s – I time when I was growing up – a time when the most important decision I had to make was the flavour of my ice cream. A time that is the butt of too many jokes – and I must say that the 70’s in New Zealand wasn’t a bad time to be growing up. Who cares if you couldn’t get a "flat white" or shops didn’t open in the weekends!

It’s funny that there has been a revival of 70’s memorabilia recently – perhaps people are searching for something lost along the way to this century. By restoring one small part of that 70’s era I’d like to think I’ve kept something important: well, something important to me anyway.

No comments: