Friday, January 20, 2006

Odd one out?

One:

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves. The enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called "possession of my soul." There are times since, I've felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

Two:

Topper, I was so young, just a schoolgirl. He was an older man, so wise in the ways of the world. He used to come around the schoolyard, day after day. I so admired his persistence. Even the restraining order my parents slapped on him was no deterrent. He opened my eyes to the arts: music, clog-dancing, WrestleMania. His work has meant so much to so many. And I owe him everything, Topper. Everything.

Three:

"At first, I thought they handed me the wrong dossier. I couldn't believe they wanted this man dead. Third generation WestPoint, top of his class. Korea, Airborne. About a thousand decorations. Etc, etc... I'd heard his voice on the tape and it really put a hook in me. But I couldn't connect up that voice with this man. Like theysaid he had an impressive career. Maybe too impressive... I meanperfect. He was being groomed for one of the top slots of the corporation.
General, Chief of Staff, anything... In 1964 he returnedfrom a tour of advisory command in Vietnam and things started toslip. The report to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Lyndon Johnson was restricted. Seems they didn't dig what he had to tell them. During the next few months he made three requests for
transfer to airborne training in Fort Benning, Georgia. And he was finally accepted. Airborne ?
He was 38 years old. Why the fuck would he do that ?1966 he joined the Special forces, returns to Vietnam ..."

8 comments:

Mark J said...

As in life there is more than one correct answer. Please justify your answer with a reason. You have 5 minutes to complete this task - from... NOW.

Anonymous said...

Two is the odd one for various reasons...
Quote by female
by a non-Sheen
by non american
by an Italian
movie not set in an Asian war
filmed after 1990.
Mark I know where you have been!!

Mark J said...

Hmmm

Two would seem to be the obvious choice wouldnt it....

But I think the scene in number two was set in Vietnam....

A Sheen was in the scene in number 2.

The films are all in different decades. Part of number 1 was used verbatim in the 90's (or at least part of it) in a different movie.

You surprise me Tumorboy - you are strong with the force. But beware the darkside...more seductive it is.

We will have to see how the others go.....

Mark J said...

After further study it appears that 1 and 3 were filmed in the Phillipines and the 2nd in the USA.

But that is a bit too obscure - and justy a little nerdy to be the real reason. :)

Mark J said...

What would be your pick be sir tyler?

1 and 3 are internal monologues
1 and 3 take place in military vehicles
1 and 3 are in the Phillipines

But that doesnt mean it's 2 now does it.

Yes "I loved you in wallstreet" was one of the highlights in cinematic juxapositioning - I cant think of a better one at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Playing too lose is like sleeping with your sister, sure she's a great piece of tail with a blouse full of goodies but it's just illegal

Mark J said...

The answer was 3.

Movie 1 is Platoon
Movie 2 was Hot Shots Part Deux
Movie 3 was Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now is the correct answer becuase Charlie Sheen wasn't in it. I tried to make it tricky in that Martin Sheen was in 2 and 3 - So if you picked 1 I guess you have the right to feel agrieved - but you still dont win.

Anonymous said...

But IG, your sisters are adopted so strictly speaking...