Friday, July 20, 2007

My Nelson family

This morning I rose at 5am to catch a flight to Nelson.

Asquared is 40 on the 2nd of August, but over a month ago her Mum and I conspired to have a 40th that I could attend. So here I am in (not so) sunny Nelson.
Tonight (after early birthday celebrations) I lie in bed, posting. Full of white and black Sambuca, my hands glide over my keyboard like they are possessed. I will pay for this tomorrow - rest assured.

I sat around a table of people I see once a year, but some who I have known for over 10 years: Asquared for well over 20 years.
It's funny - these people I know and love - yet no one in my normal circle knows them - like a separate family I have here. I am lucky indeed.

So I chat with Dennis - A father who so scared me half to death as a 17 year old when I sat in my car - outside his house talking to his daughter in the 80's. No longer.
I sing with Denise , his wife, and set up their Karaoke machine: I regret it not.
I talk with sisters and friends all night long - never measuring words: Accepted for who I am: I belong here in some small way.

Asquared - I don't know if you come here, but if you do, I have to say I love being a part of your life, and I cherish the brief times we spend together. The hangovers, however, I could do without! :)

Happy 40th birthday luv.

M.

No comments: