Friday, July 13, 2007

Kevin Smith


I was discussing Clerks II with IG the other day. I've followed Kevin Smith's films since Clerks - I've seen him craft his art, get smarter in his story telling and directing; his writing in Chasing Amy was sublime, and his movies "look" better and better each time.

But this isn't a Kevin love fest - I'm a little disturbed where he takes us, and although that's to be expected with all his films, it's just lately, the dark places seem a little forced, pushed a little too far. It's like he has to make a point, but I'm not sure he knows what point he really wants to make. Perhaps he's worried about becoming some sort of sellout - destined to spend the rest of his life signing copies of his movies outside video rental stores in the malls he loves so much.

I'm sure if he ever read this he'd say something like "Fuck Mark - it's just a motherfucking movie bitch. Deal with it." Kevin - I am, it's just hard sometimes.

Take Clerks II. This film has a great heart, the interaction between Dante and Randal is brilliant and touching at times. The go kart scene, with the best nod to Butch Cassidy I've ever seen, was just lovely to watch; it really touched me. But Kevin, what the hell was the donkey show for. Fart jokes just get harder to pull off I guess.

To be fair I've yet to watch Catch and Release or Jersey Girl - I want to, I really do, but the biggest part of me just wants to see what he does without the darkness. Maybe it's just me - but I can't believe it's not in there somewhere - waiting to catch me unawares. And Liv Tyler seems such a lovely girl.....

In the meantime I'll keep watching - if just to hear what you really want to say; and yes - even if it's really about donkeys.

No comments: