Saturday, July 28, 2007

Aqua Karma

Ive been surprised at the small things in life that can bring a smile to me.
A month ago, one of the light bulbs in my bedroom blew, and every time I now turn on my bedroom light I'm bathed in an orange glow from the one remaining bulb, which in my humble opinion is very conducive to sleep. I know I should replace both bulbs with lower wattage variants, but I'm wary that the resulting change will ruin the outcome of the effect. This is commonplace with me.

[The chorus of "Get over it" from cyberspace is deafening - Yes I know]

It's just that I'm reluctant to change things I like; to trade them in for something different or new. That among other reasons is why I drive the same car as I did over 7 years ago, why I hardly sell anything, and why I look after everything I own as well as I can: I don't let go easily.

So with that in mind - I more or less let life happen to me, rather than rush out and wrestle what I can out of it. In saying that - I'm no pushover. I do take the opportunities life avails me, but I prefer not to push it - preferring instead to let life wash over me - and seeing what sticks. A type of aqua-karma if you will :)

It may not be the assertive way to get what you want, but I have a pretty good life, and I'm
happy with who I am. I guess that I believe things happen to me for a reason.
All this being said, I can think of two specific instances when I should have pushed through myself and been a little more someone else. When we (much) later recognise times like this it's important to remember, regardless of our time here on earth, we are "works in progress".

Maybe a second chance isn't the opportunity to make the same mistake twice.

I wouldn't put money on it tho :)

No comments: