Thursday, July 12, 2007

50 year storm my arse!

Cows debate the size of their new swimming pool.



Over the last few days, hurricane winds have lashed at the Northern region of New Zealand, leaving many people without power and communications. I, on the other hand have begun life as some sort of quasi-vampire, sleeping during the day, only to rise when the sun goes down.

Right now, for example; I'm sitting in our National Maintenance Centre, keeping an eye on all our sites, trying to keep as much of our network running as possible. Yesterday Gary and I worked a 22 hour day, but tonight things have calmed down a lot, and we will probably get home after 6am.

I feel for those people who have lost power, sitting in the dark for nearly two days now. And these are just the folks around the suburbs of Auckland. I'd imagine some further north will be without power for a week, perhaps longer.

I count myself lucky. When I eventually get home today, at least I'll still manage to have a hot shower. Sleeping through the day is a small part to pay for that creature comfort.

2 comments:

Mark J said...

Some numbers from the local paper;

120,000 households and businesses without power.
180 Km/h winds recorded at Tiritiri lighthouse.
167 Km/h wind gusts at Tutukaka.
270mm rainfall in one day at Kaeo
2 Motorcyclists blown off bikes whilst crossing the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

Jay said...

You're a good person for managing to keep that in mind.