Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fairy Tales



I remember the scene below from French Kiss;

Kate: Do you believe in love? The kind that lasts forever?
Luc
: I loved my mother.
Kate: No, everyone loves their mother. Even people who say they hate their mothers love their mothers. My question is, one man for one woman?
Luc
: It is not a very interesting question. It is the question of a little girl who still believes in fairy tales.

So - do you believe in fairy tales?

Fish doesn't believe in soulmates, and although I don't hang on her every word, I have to admit the idea of that kind of love for another has become distinctly less popular outside of romantic literature. It's easier to be cynical I guess. Proving a cynical person wrong simply elicits another cynical response - so you really don't win, do you?

I'd like to believe in it all, and although that part of me still remains, contrary winds have done their best to eroded my faith somewhat over the years. Still - I think you really have to be open to the possibility of a love being greater than the sum of its parts - right?


Damn straight!

No comments: