Saturday, June 09, 2007

Outsourcing

We fear change - oh yes we do..

Change is a universal constant; I guess I just don't want it in my universe.

Last Thursday, our firm had a full technology meeting, in which they announced they were looking at outsourcing the work that we did in the business. What they were saying obviously upset a few people, but I have to say, for some unknown reason, I wasn't fazed at all.

I've been through this all before with Telecom NZ, and that was truly horrendous - frankly I cant believe it would ever be the same as that experience - actually I know that for a fact - because I have changed. I wouldn't let it bother me anymore - I know I'm stronger than that now.

The previous experience has empowered me to make some decisions around what I was, and I wasn't going to let effect me. When I moved up to Auckland I decided not to buy a house - I ensured I saved over 10% of my salary from day 1. I set myself up so I could leave on a whim if i needed to - no one owned me. Ok - so if in the interim I happened to meet someone - all bets were off. Seeing that hasn't happened, I'm still on track, albeit a little miffed about the whole not meeting anyone thing.

So...I arranged a meeting with a top brass guy and asked him some pretty pertinent questions - which he answered to my satisfaction; something I wouldn't have had the balls to do five years ago. I then had a talk to the others I work with and things seemed have calmed down a bit. It never ceases to amaze me how these top managers never seem to get the basics right. They never make the true facts clear. Yes - they are looking at outsourcing - but if it isn't viable, they're not going to go ahead with it. There is no secret agenda.

Two days layer; still no bad dreams, extra stress, or sleep loss. Just the normal run of the mill stuff - the normal kind of stuff that freaks you out on a daily basis anyway.

And with all that normal stuff going on, who has time for any other brand of crazy anyway. Well apart from meeting someone - obviously!

3 comments:

Johnny said...

Hi Mark! Thanks for your comment on our wedding blog! :-) Nice to hear from you!
Did they say what part of the business they are looking at outsourcing? geez, will mgmt ever make up their mind about what they want!? frustrating!

Mark J said...

Hey Johnny - great to hear from you. It's been ages. If you have time touch base when you get back to NZ.

To answer your question - they are looking at outsourcing Technology - basically design, delivery and operations. Obviously marketing would be the last to go :)

The interested parties appear to be Nokia and Ericsson. Obviously working for Nokia would be the better choice in my opinion - but really I want to stay in the company. From what I've been told the numbers really have to stack up before they will do it.

Keep in touch dude - drop me an email at work if you remember it :)

Nivi said...

Hmm so it does indeed seem like nothing has changed since I left! Anyway glad to hear you're not letting it get to you! :)