Sunday, June 17, 2007

Christening

Wait 'til he finds out

Presbyterian and Reformed Christians contend that baptism is not a mere symbol, but actually conveys grace. Baptism, according to this tradition, does not produce Christians, but it identifies the child as a member of the covenant community. (from here)

but wait - there's a catch;

In presenting this child for baptism, do you confess your faith in God as your heavenly Father, and in Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord, and in the Holy Spirit as your Sanctifier? As I have already said, the vows you make are made before God. It is therefore necessary, if they are to mean anything at all to you, that you believe in God. If you do not believe in God, how will you be able to train your child to believe in Him. (from here).

So too bad if you kinda/maybe believe in God - there is no wriggle room. You absolutely positively have to believe - or your child can't be christened. No room for fence sitting when it comes to your spiritual welfare of your child. I guess you could always lie - but then you'd be breaking your own moral code - right?

See what happens when man gets involved in religion. Personally if I was in the business of saving souls, I'd take every opportunity to do so, but I cant see that kind of thinking filling the coffers on Sunday morning. I liked it when Bono said, "The God I know, ain't short of cash buddy"

1 comment:

ren powell said...

Funny, the state church here is Lutheran and as long as you don't worship the devil they don't seem to worry about you being damned. My son reaches confirmation age next year- more a right of passage here since most kids now choose a "secular" confirmation. Seems the church here offers more wiggle room than the humanists.

Oh- by the way, you're tagged- I know, I hate these things, too. Saturday's post on my blog.