Friday, June 01, 2007

The Bridge

In song writing, a bridge is an interlude that connects two parts of that song, building a harmonic connection between those parts.

Normally you should have heard the verse at least twice. The bridge may then replace the 3rd verse or precede it. In the latter case it delays an expected chorus. The chorus after the bridge is usually last and is often repeated in order to stress that it is final.

If and when you expect a verse or a chorus and you get something that is musically and lyrically different from both verse and chorus, it is most likely the bridge.


Such sterile words for what is so often the most lovely part of a song.
If I was a part of a song, I'd be the bridge - It's just that I'm just not a chorus kinda guy - if you know what I mean.
And that, dear reader, is just one more part of the puzzle clicking into place :)



By the way - if you didn't know - this bit below is the bridge.

Everything I know,
and anywhere I go
it gets hard - but it won’t take away my love.
And when the last one falls,
when it’s all said and done
it gets hard, but it won’t take away my love .

No comments: