Monday, June 11, 2007

Auckland Pink Concert


I've just this minute walked in the door from the Pink concert, and my ears are still ringing. I loved the concert but in saying that, its fair to say my taste in concerts has changed over the years. These days I prefer substance over style - so the whole stage show part of the concert really doesn't appeal to me that much. The artists I love to listen to, could sit down on a stool and play with a stripped down band, and still impress me. Pink is one such artist. Can you imagine Britney doing an unplugged album? I didn't think so.

I've heard that when Bruce Springsteen plays to a crowd he sits down between numbers, and talks to the audience about the song he's about to sing, the story behind what you're about to experience. He really makes an effort to bond with the audience - and people rave about him. Pink, on the other hand belted out three songs before she even said hello.

It seemed to me the band was stripped down a bit, but there was no doubt that they were a talented bunch of individuals. The band was very tight, although the bass player was somewhat lack lustre - but in fairness it could have been the mix. The band often had to carry the show, while Pink left the stage for costume changes. The backup singer, and singer/keyboard player did a good job in her absence, but it's a big ask, primarily because Pink is such a powerhouse on stage; when she's not there you feel the energy leave with her.

The only time she stopped to give a small morsel of background, was just before she sang Dear Mr President. She almost seemed embarrassed to talk about something that was obviously important to her. It was somewhat ironic that this number was done with so much heart, and the crowd responded appropriately.

Pink did a number of covers including Bob Marley's Redemption Song, Linda Petty's Whats Up, and Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee. Hearing the chorus of What's going on sung by the crowd was a high point of the concert, but it was ironic to hear Get this Party Started, done at the end of the night as an encore.

The crowd wanted to carry on, but Pink's final encore came too soon - don't get me wrong - she's one talented lady who puts on a powerhouse show. I just wanted more of her, and less of everything else.

Maybe when the flash has gone, and the substance remains - I'll be back. Hell - I'd be back either way.

No comments: