Thursday, June 07, 2007

Powered by Mac

Back in the early 80's I started getting interested in computers. Back then owning a home computer was a pipe dream - unless you were talking about a Sinclair ZX81 with a massive 1K of Ram.

The Sinclair ZX81 "Doorstop"

The first real computer I used on a regular basis was an Apple 2+, which I used at school. There was only one computer for 1200 pupils - fortunately for me 1190 of those kids had something better to do at 7:30 in the morning than to ride to school in the winter and share the computer with 10 other users. One carefully lobbed grenade would have rid the school of all the geeks in one swift move; we were the computer club.

Apple 2+

By the time the late 80's rolled around Apples were replaced by IBM compatibles as the computer de jour - someone I knew paid over $4000 for a 286 IBM PC with a hard drive - wow - a hard drive ! I was just starting work, so it wasn't until the early 90's before I could afford a home built PC.

Over the years I've built and fixed more PC's than I care to remember. For the longest time it was an enjoyable hobby: but no longer! No more constant rebuilding of my PC operating system; updating virus scanners, purchasing a spyware scanner, and applying windows security updates every second day. I guess eventually Microsoft just wore me out. I'd finally had enough.

So right now I'm sitting in front of something that looks like a PC, but I guess that's where the similarities stop. Meet the Apple iMac!



For the first time in years I'm excited about sitting in front of a computer. It's all new, and like learning a foreign language - very frustrating. The good thing is I'm already starting to get the hang of it.

Change is good. Not to mention white and shiny.

No comments: