Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sunday next

Talking about religion on a blog is tantamount to pouring petrol over oneself and asking a complete stranger for a match - you simply don't do it. Yet here go I.

As I've mentioned before my nephew was refused a Christening, but now I find he will be granted a blessing. No big deal I thought - I'll rock in, take a number of photos in the church, and that would be that. There may be a little ceremony, words will be spoken, and the whole thing will be over. How wrong could I be; My nephew's blessing will now take place as a part of a full blown church service with a baptism thrown in for good measure.

Those people who know me well would probably concede that I am a spiritual person by nature, and in the most part they would be right. I just have a problem with mans intervention in religion. To me a persons religion is their own. If they want to practice their faith with a group of others then all power to them. The problem occurs when I arrive in their midst.

Being hypocritical is a big issue for me - I realise that I'm there to support my nephew and his parents, but the thought of being somewhere - in a system that I just don't believe in - bothers me. I know - I should just get over it, but when the issue of communion was mentioned I hit the wall. No one expects the Spanish inquisition. Compromise is a bitch.

Yes - OK, I will go.
I will put on my best placid face.
I will be good, and in doing so, will try my very best not to catch fire should the holy water touch me.

But some things, you just can't promise.

No comments: