Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My Birthday

How I normally feel about my birthday

I am a lucky person.
I have friends; a lot of them.
How do I know this?
One day out of the year my phone chirps like a cricket on acid - and continues to spit out text and voice messages of birthday well wishes all day long.
I'm not big on big things - I'm big on little things. The constant calls and emails containing variants of the "you're old" theme is a nice reminder that I'm not alone in the world. Thank you all.
The physical distance that separates us is the price we pay for where we are. While the gifts I received this year were all lovely, i have to say that the one thing I'm certain to remember this year was when my friend "Painter-girl" put her arm around my waist, and we swayed from side to side for a moment as we waited to leave Rachel's house.
Because there's nothing as big as the little things.

6 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Happy birthday !!!

May you have many many more ... and so many phone calls, lucky old you :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark...wishing you a wonderful birthday. I must say that you have a great sense of humor!The cake looks equally interesting

Mark J said...

Hi Carol
Thanks for dropping by.
I assure you I would never ice a cake in this manner - but I admit I did smile when I saw this photo :)

Anonymous said...

I guess a slice of f**k off cake is better that a bowl of starve...

So do you get pensioner's discount now?

Anonymous said...

We should dance more often young sir!

Mark J said...

You give the bestus hugs for sure. But the standing side-by side hug is my favorite - by far.
It's a good thing our paths have crossed luv. :)