Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Insight

Within each of us; lies a child.


I've always loved kids - they are a fascinating insight to ourselves in so many ways. One of the things I've always found interesting is when they develop an awareness of self. By that I mean; when a young child looks at their own photo, and is asked "Who is that?", they almost always reply with their own name - like "That's Georgia", instead of "That's me". Cute me thinks !
As they grow up, children develop a sense of self, and eventually start referring to themselves in that manner.

More recently I've noticed another milestone. My workmate has a young son. Like most boys he's inclined to run around like a madman oblivious to his surroundings - that is - until those surroundings catch up with him. In the past falls have result in cries of pain, and rest assured, the tears are not far behind. Unabashed the little guy turned on the fountains, only to quickly recover, and continue where he left off a few minutes earlier.

That was the story a year ago anyway. When the same lad twisted his ankle on Sunday, he looked at me, and shuffled past quickly to his dads car. Once locked inside you could hear the howls, and you knew there were tears as well.

But mostly you knew was only a short time before they too would be gone, and tears would soon be few and far between.

Some right of passage - eh.

3 comments:

Mark J said...

I used the photo of Henry Rollins, simply because I needed a strong image, and couldnt find what I was looking for on google images.

Jay said...

Oh, the anguish.
I have such a hard time with little boys turning into stoic men.
How early on they learn this pride!

I just want to round up all the little boys and whisper in their ears: it's okay to cry.

Mark J said...

It's a nice idea, but I think you're up against it in this fight - even with your impressive right hook ;-)