Monday, April 02, 2007

The kid in me.


You can only make something so new. This i realise today, whilst continuing what has become an ongoing saga to rebuild my 1970's Raleigh Chopper. This epiphany came to me today, just as I received the first lot of re-chromed items from the electroplaters. I thought that restoring a car was expensive - but that's just peanuts compared to the projected cost of this bike project.

My brother Scot has the frame in Dunedin - it's currently being re welded and media blasted.
When that's finished it will be etch primed and sent back to Auckland for painting.
Craig has offered to paint it in a new type of high lustre red paint, and I paid someone in the UK $80 for the transfers. Then comes the coat of clear lacquer over the top. Perhaps two layers - I'm not sure yet; and that's just the frame.

Then comes all the ancillary "bits" that I've chromed and restored. The rims have yet to be re-spoked in stainless steel, and the seat has to be re-trimmed. The cranks have to be straightened and the pedals have to be replaced. New tires and brakes are an obvious addition; the list goes on.

Is this project just a pathetic attempt to hold on to one of the major things I wanted at seven years old, or god forbid, something even worse?

More, as revelations come to hand. It might get nasty - oh yes it may...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And wat is wrong with wanting to hang on to those childhood years?? Or even yesterday for that matter! Be a kid for as long as u can i say! Money is a material object..yet good times as a result of money spent (as opposed to money saved )last forever! GO HARD :) lol