Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You love me how much?

I was working late tonight. While I was listening to talk-back radio, a woman rang in and asked the announcer whether she should buy a trampoline or computer for her two daughters Christmas gift.

The caller went on to mention that she had saved $300 for the trampoline, but would have to arrange a hire purchase agreement to raise the deficit in order to afford the computer.
I thought about her quandary; more specifically around the financial burden a computer would add once the interest on the loan was repaid. Still - through these thoughts, something was bothering me.

The caller hung up eventually, and the advertisements started to play - the first, ironically, for a firm that loaned money. The sales pitch was that if you borrowed money, your kids Christmas would be a lot more enjoyable. The muted response of the disappointed child giving way to the excited scream for the gift they really wanted played in the background; I started to feel more than a little angry.

When a parents love is measured by their ability to provide their children with "worthy" gifts, I wonder what lesson it teaches us. Not one I care to learn anyway.

2 comments:

ren powell said...

I hope the talk show host pointed out the expensive of accident insurance?

Forget kids- this Christmas I want that hair color that will turn me into Eva Longoria.

Mark J said...

And there I was - assured that blondes have more fun.

And from what I understand, having kids automatically guarantees you a different hair colour entirely :)