Friday, November 30, 2007

I want it thaaat waaaay

Second one from the left - right Sharz? :)

I downloaded a Loverboy album tonight. I should be ashamed to come out and say that - but my choices in the 80's weren't always as classic as I'd like them to be.
To this day I remember learning some Loverboy songs on my first guitar - knowing in my heart the band was so cool.

I wonder, even now, if I have any idea what cool is?
If you have to ask, the answer is probably no.

The first album I brought was a Beach Boys LP, and today that stacks up pretty well in the credibility stakes - but, if you asked me at the time I would have lied and mentioned something like Pat Benatar, The Cars or Kiss.

At fifteen if someone had played me some Stones, Led Zep, Rainbow, Springsteen or Sabbath, I know I would have hated it. For the same reason today, I try not to mock the latest boy band effort on mainstream radio or tv, even though I can hear my inner child trying his hardest.

When it comes down to it, I guess the secret of musical chi is listening to a lot of different genre's - and being honest about your love of music - even if it is the Backstreet Boys.

No comments: