Saturday, November 17, 2007

Where the hell is my ham?


At the end of a nasty cold - i shrugged off my need for sleep, and ventured out into the sun in search of a toasted sandwich.
Our local mall surely has the worst cafe's in Auckland. I often find myself traveling far from home in search of good food coupled with a good atmosphere - it's a futile task. Such a places belong in television sit-coms, where the couch in the middle is always available for your friends: never the twain shall meet.
When I ordered my cheese/ham/onion toasted sandwich, I was full of high hopes. These hopes were dashed as the tragedy unfolded in front of my very eyes: the ham was missing.
Things however, had improved since the last time I had ordered here; once after ordering a burger from the cafe blackboard menu, the cafe presented me with a double eggs benedict.
So - who should I be today? Should I eat my ham-less sandwich in the hope that there was a lesson to be learn't here - by taking less would life offer me something more, somewhere else? Should I instead send back the toasted sandwich for a ham insertion procedure - full knowing the risks of sending food back to ANY kitchen.

As the miliseconds passed, I realised that I simply pick the fights I want to win, and although I should always take people to task for their inactions - I'd rather they take themselves instead; another battle I can never win, no matter how much I wish I could.

And to think this post started out about food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would suggest you open up a restaurant yourself, chap. I think you would do great. Or you could buy up some Belgians, they always have good food and good atmosphere.

Mark J said...

Hmmm - I love Belgian biscuits. Is that the same thing? :)

Jacie said...

love your musings - a big HELLO from Oxford UK

Mark J said...

Why - thank you!
May your sandwiches NEVER be short on their fillings :)

Di Mackey said...

They don't know what Belgian biscuits are ... they are always surprised when I mention them.

Thought you might like this one: http://www.abeautifulrevolution.com/blog/

Mark J said...

Di - you are, and will always be - a fucking genius!
So loved that link - for far too many reasons to admit here.
Look forward to talking soon - I have questions :)