Friday, March 02, 2007

Placebo

"I Love Nirvana - that doesn't mean I want to shoot myself " sang Dave Gibson from Elemenop.

I sometimes feel that I have to point out, even if some or most of my posts seem "down" in nature, I'm not depressed. Granted, some of the choices I make in the way I look at the world can often make me wonder how it's all going to end one day, but life's pretty good - ya know?

All that said: I love Placebo. There is something about this band I identify with; the only problem is - I'm not sure what. Brian Molko is openly bisexual, and Stefan Olsdal (the bass player) is gay. Their musical style is alien, compared to the structured stuff I normally listen to, but still; I love them. Perhaps is the sparseness of their music that appeals.
They do have a unique sound. The drummer has a great style, and although they are a three piece , the use of loops, and ancillary musicians (well hidden in the background), make for an interesting mix.

It's not like I can identify with a lot of the subject matter in the songs either; the list is a myriad of drugs, destructive relationships - and even more drugs - but there's poetry in the hearts of Messrs Molko et al, and its there for all to see in the lyrics.

I'm unclean, a libertine
And every time you vent your spleen,
I seem to lose the power of speech,
You're slipping slowly from my reach.
You grow me like an evergreen,
You never see the lonely me at all

OK - maybe not great poetry, but poetry never the less...

So: Two Clips for you. The first being... Without you I'm nothing



And if you're a sucker for punishment... Follow the Cops back home.

No comments: