Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sorry - I gave to Unicef


If I had to name one immediate thing that reduces my faith in mankind, it would be the street beggar. Although I believe that we are responsible in some way for the well being of our fellow man, I'd also like to think that we all have to take some responsibility for our own lives, and seek help from others if we need it. If anyone should fall on hard times, a responsible society should have a safety net to accomplish these goals.

It may be hard to believe, but street begging in New Zealand is not a common thing. We have a supposed welfare system, that "should" stop most of this sort of thing from happening. Sure, some people live on the fringe of society, perhaps suffering from mental, or physical dependencies. Drugs like P or glue, or simpler varieties like alcohol are an easy enough "out" for those who of us who live in the mainstream let alone a fringe dweller.

It's harsh - but when some Melbourne drunk walks up to me and asks me for $5 for something to eat, or a young pregnant woman stops my brother for spare change - in a clean dress and shoes, I get really REALLY angry. Millions of people die each year die because they cant get enough to eat or drink, and these faux beggars are desensitising us to a point where we just can't afford to care anymore.

I hate them for it, and if I could I'd ship all these street beggars to Africa or some other famine zone. At least then all the starving millions would be in the same boat - and our aid and good will could really make a difference.

Too harsh?

No comments: