Monday, March 12, 2007

The Rain


There are some things I miss during an Indian Summer. I miss the rain.

Rain in West Auckland, when it arrives, is really like the type of rain one experiences on the West Coast of the South Island; when it rains there the water bounces from the road to form a white mist and the noise would raise the dead: God I love it.

On a winters night when I'm tucked up in bed I love to listen to the pounding of the water on my roof, while I remain warm and dry under the covers. I love when the sound wakes me from my sleep.

For me I guess it's like when you're a kid, and you're driving home in the back seat of your parents car late at night. You can drift off to sleep - not a care in the world. Then one day, you suddenly realise you no longer have that total security. The world has changed, and so have you.

From that day forth I guess we all seek to find some form of that previous nirvana. But all we can really offer in the long run, is the same security to our own kids, and pray they don't grow up too quickly.

But in the meantime, rain on my roof at night is a small taste of that past life, and I'm holding on to it as long as I can.

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

Yes yes and yes to the rain ...

Belgium is fairly pathetic when it comes to that West Coast kind of rain. And in Istanbul, the closest I got to it in my apartment in the middle of the highrise was the rain beating my big clunky a/c unit hanging off the window.

Need to get home and get properly wet :)