Sunday, March 11, 2007

Westport Sunset

Back in the day when I made time to be creative, I brought a camera. Turns out I wasn't half bad at using the damn thing, which was a pleasant discovery after the disappointment of not being able to draw.

In those days I carried my camera everywhere, and now, back "home" in Dunedin, I have a huge box of negatives, poised ready to embarrass my friends in future years to come.

I lost these sunset images years ago - on my many trips home I'd open the same closet and search through the same boxes, hoping in vein that they would reappear again. This Christmas my searching was rewarded, and Mum arranged to get them scanned. They arrived in the post last week.

So; I give you the sun setting over the Tasman Sea, looking toward the somewhat controversial " West Island" of New Zealand (which oddly you can not see today *). Not retouched I hasten to add, as Photoshop was only a twinkle in the minds of its creators when this photo was taken.

Yes - like all things in the 90's the sunsets were also better.

* You can never see Australia from New Zealand, but many many people think you can. :)

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Delicious image!

Thank you for posting however I would like to read that 'these days you're carrying your camera everywhere again' eh wot.

Mark J said...

As nice as my digital camerais - i still love my old film camera - The generation "Y" instant gratification digital varients are a little too sweet without the sour. Sometimes waiting for something makes the experience all the nicer.
I wonder if I'm still talking photography tho....