Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Connections and Perspective


I have trouble understanding those who like to quantify every special "unexplained" event in their lives, as a statistical probability. I believe, we create bonds with people we are very close to, and at times in our lives when we need them, they can make their appearance in one form or another.

The rare, out of the blue phone call from a friend or loved one, when you just happen to be thinking of them, is something that reinforces that belief in me; that there is more to our lives than a series of interconnected statistically definable events.

In this sterile age of technology, there is a tendency to explain away anything representing "magic" in our lives - but I'll take any wins I can get. That fact this sort of thing doesn't happen every day, just makes it more special, not merely more mathematically unlikely.

And if higher forms of technology add emails and texts to the list, who am I to argue. :)

2 comments:

ren powell said...

Boy, have I got a story about a rag doll, the US mail and a biopsy result for you. . .

I will never understand statistics anyway. Someone told me that, statistically, one is more likely to be struck down by a meteor than to win the lottery. In Norway someone each week wins the lottery. So I'm wondering not only, what do they do with the meteorites?, but what are they doing with all the bodies?

Mark J said...

This is the sort of thing that keeps one awake at night. Personally I cant wait to get hit by a meteor :)