Thursday, August 02, 2007

Walls


Some days are diamonds
Some days are rocks.

So said Tom Petty, and today, so say I.

So much of what goes on around us, is coloured by our perception of the world. When everything is good, the world is a fun and exciting place to be - when we see the other side of the coin, it can be a different story.

They say you can learn to love something you merely "like", but I want to disagree. I just wonder if that's the main problem. Perhaps acceptance of that idea is something I can't accept.

Some of us are "wired" to spend more time in our own heads - for some of us it's a fact of life, and for others it's a place rarely visited, and never missed. For me, the struggle is to determine what is "real" and what is merely wishful thinking. [At this point I hasten to add I don't live in an imaginary world - what I'm trying to get across here is our individual perception of the world around us, and how much that perception is removed from the norm].

I believe our different views of the world make us interesting as individuals - I often wonder if this perception extends to the literal. Is the colour I see as red, perceived as green by another? It would surely explain some peoples colour coordination :)

Over the years my intuition has been spot on, but lately I wonder if it hasn't been off a little, perhaps because my own wants and desires have muddied the waters. For some time now I feel I have been at the mercy of many external factors, and while my life has moved on with both wins and losses, I wonder why I'm not happy with the overall path I've been following.

Or I could just be having a bad day.

No comments: