Saturday, August 04, 2007

It was a kind of magic

My musical taste has been all over the place lately. This weekend, for example, I've been listening to Queen.

I remember in the early 80's Queen's Greatest Hits was the album of choice. I still remember to this day, listening to News of the World for the first time; It blew me away. Later, when Freddie Mercury was "outed", the more staunch [read homophobic] kiwi males rubbished their music, but I never did. My biggest regret is that I never saw them live.

A few years later at Live Aid, they simply and utterly stole the show, and the legend of Queen was reborn.

When Mr Mercury departed this earth I felt we had lost something that would never be replaced in our lifetime - now, so many years later, I fear I may still be right.


First, a love song, as relevant to me today, as then;



And secondly at Live Aid in 85...



Brilliance!

2 comments:

Buffy said...

I ADORE Freddie. Was listening to Bohemian Rhapsody in the car this morning and just thinking what a genius he was.

Mark J said...

He was one of a kind.
The power of his voice was obvious during his tribute concert - when so many top performers couldn't sing his songs. George Michael was one of the few tho.

Thanks for dropping by Buffy.