Friday, May 12, 2006

Redemption

Paul J's 1974 GSR GTO

I've always found redemption to be a powerful theme in most of the movies I love.
The power to undo some wrongdoing, in the hope of some kind of salvation.
Don't get me wrong - I don't mean in any religious sense, but perhaps more correctly by seeing something wrong, and trying to right it.
An example of this for me, is taking something old and damaged, and restoring it to it's former glory.
It always bothered me that some "things" should have a shelf life - That time, when passed, any said item is past it's best, and should succumb to the natural order of things - then cease to be.
In my mind - as long as someone cherishes an ideal, or a thing, it should live on; regardless of it's age, or worth to others.
So when I see a bike - or an old car that means something to me, I love nothing better than to take that rusted bent piece of metal, and restore it to it's former glory - or even better yet - to a condition exceeding is original factory status.
So many people let go of the beautiful things that surround them - so it's nice to break the cycle one in a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi..I'm a long time listener, first time caller. I am glad to see the topics on your blogg have become slightly less serious, but you may have gone too far.. the tone in your blogg would imply that a restored 1974 ford capri is a beautiful thing, I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you have to stop self medicating and get some proffesional help, first you must admit you have a problem, only then can you move forward.......hello everyone my name is Mark, I can't stop restoring old fords, not the classic ones but the ones from the seventies...............

Anonymous said...

Dear Longtimelistener,
You write well - really you do, but I detect something in your writing that saddens me. Next time you see that special guy across a crowded room ask him out - to once and for all answer that secret question you are too scared to ask yourself.
Then perhaps Mark J's open passion for the things he loves wont upset you so, and in the future you can write some comments worthy of your obvious talent.
While you may think my comments sarcastic, this is far from the truth, at least as far as your writing is concerned.

Mark J said...

Capri's arent that bad!