Monday, September 17, 2007

The Politics of Business.


It's funny as we get older, how much politics plays a part in our lives.
I remember when I first joined my latest job five years ago - there were always others who tried to get a line on what I thought about "so and so". I always tried to duck those questions, mainly because I really like to make an informed decision, and sometimes because the first impression isn't always the correct one.

Fast forward two years - I snap and refer to a colleague as being in more dire need of a blow job than any white man in history, and in doing so, borrow a classic line from Good Morning Vietnam.

Fast forward another eighteen months, I see this same person as mostly reasonable, albeit fatally flawed in area of inter-personal relationships, and ethics. :)

Skipping on to today, I find we have reached an accord of sorts; we can work together. Even now I wonder if I haven't compromised myself in some way - it's a matter of degree perhaps, or an extra hot shower on the bad days.

And in my own personal dealings with others, I always try and go with the old adage "Judge people by how they treat someone who can do nothing for them".

I was reminded of this last week. I was working with a man who I admire greatly. When I was two years into my current career stint, I decided he was the sort of boss I really wanted to work for. When I mentioned my interest in working in his team he announced, in confidence, that he was leaving work, to take up a less intensive role, allowing more time with his family. I was crushed.

These days our paths still cross with mutual projects every now and again, and although some people no longer treat him as the high flying manager he once was, he's happier for that knowledge. I think it's because most of us treat him exactly the same way: he has a pretty good idea where he stands.

I envy that knowledge. I often wonder how those around my daily work life would treat me, if I wasn't so useful to them. Some day's I'm not sure I ever want to know.

No comments: