Thursday, September 06, 2007

Five years in Auckland


I'll be five on Sunday.

I often wonder if I can be bothered with where I am right now in the greater scheme of things; Given the day to day monotony of life in general, I often find myself asking - is that all there is?

Sure - we could take up a multitude of hobbies and good causes to accompany all the other things we do to keep us busy, but still - if we stood back and looked at our lives through a different set of eyes, what would be the difference between any two lives lived? Would you like to judge which life was "better" on the grander scale?

Who's to say that a life in front of a TV set, is any better in the bigger picture, than someone, who say, climbed Everest. Obviously sitting in front of TV is a lot safer :) - but that's hardly my point. I'm just not just talking about personal achievement here - it's bigger than that. After all, on the count of who's winning in this life, who really keeps score - except perhaps you, or someone competing with you?

With all our self important running around, should we really think about our futures, or live blissfully in the now?

The people I know who are most happy, never seem to think of the future - but did you ever notice how society feeds us a constant diet of conformity, coupled with a controlled mix of fiscal responsibility and consumer must haves. It's just that I'm starting to think I don't want to buy into it anymore.

I think this cycle just feeds the misery, and most days you can see it on our faces. Time to smile a bit more, and think a lot less :)

4 comments:

ren powell said...

I think the most difficult thing for me is feeling like a failure in regard to the expectations of my 14 year-old self. As for the consumerism- yeah, I think the only thing that keeps me from my heart's desire (living in a lighthouse) is the cold wind. I mean, it wouldn't work. I'd have to buy myself some wool socks anyway.

Mark J said...

Fourteen is a difficult yardstick from which to measure your life Ren, but woolen socks seem a small price to pay for your hearts desire :)

Tell you what - I'll send you some Norsewear socks - a kiwi branded traditional woolen sock you'll never wear though!

ren powell said...

why wouldn't I wear it?

Mark J said...

Ahhhh.. I see what you mean.
Should have read "wear through". Bad England. ;-)