Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Meet Frank

Ok - so I have a problem. Apparently last year I discovered a nasty thing - I am a perfectionist. For some strange reason this "perfection angle" doesnt apply to my bedroom - which is currently a bomb site. It also (apparently) doent apply to my kitchen, where I have yet to clean tonights dishes. My perfection is, for some reason, the way I approach "projects".
I've always liked certain things "just so". When I decide to so things like restore a car, or even a Raleigh Chopper bicycle, half arsed is just not good enough. Although I cant paint or draw I love to create something beautiful every now and again, and in a funny kind of way skiing is about the only sport I take seriously enough to be a project.
A while back now, when I decided I was going to give this skiing thing a real go, I decided I wasnt just going to snow plow down a slope - I was going to master the damn thing, and ski with style and grace. I now realise that this will probably be a lifelong exercise. This is because I only ski for two weeks a year, and even then not every day I'm on holiday. So if I want to achieve this goal I need an edge. Meet Frank.
Use the force Mark!

Frank is an excellent ski instructor who drew the short straw many years ago, and has so far managed to mould, what was initially a wad of cookie dough, into a carving fool. If you are ever in Queenstown in the winter, and feel the need to take the plunge into what I promise you is an excellent way to spend the day, grab Frank for a lesson - he's the real deal. Say you know Mark from Auckland and he may share some insite into my compulsive need to ski :)
I hasten to add It's also a unique experience to have an instructor from New Zealand, while you're in New Zealand.
This year was a landmark one in my ski development. I now have turned the corner, and actually find it hard to "skid- ski" in a more traditional style - now I'm pretty much carving all the time. This in a way mean's I have (momentarily) stepped back a little to concentrate on control - something I had mastered before I moved on to the new style of skiing. It's just that I'm skiing with so much more speed now - it's amazing.
Sorry for the rant on skiiing - beware it's seductive nature. I fell and so can you.
Thanks for another great year Frank!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, zen and the art of skiing, you make it sound like only the enlightened few can enjoy the down-hill ski and that others will continue to slip slide down the hill, unaware of the blissful state you have arrived at....BOLLOCKS.

To ski is easy, point down the hill and let gravity and the primal self preservation parts of the brain take over....

Remember self improvement is mastabation

Mark J said...

I thought long and hard about your comment - ok I lied - I just read it - but you're basically fully of it (or something that rhymes with "it") :)

Guess I'll go back to polishing brass on the Titanic :)