Sunday, August 27, 2006

Car Guys

Not the authors first choice

I must admit I've taken a few knocks lately. A couple of weeks after being told I wasn't good enough to be introduced as a possible date to a girl, my friends now say I should buy a Toyota Corolla.
It is a well known fact that you are not what you eat, but what you drive. Suggesting I am a potential Toyota Corolla driver cuts to the core essence of who I am. And I'm damn sure I'm not ready to drive into a life of four door domesticality - well at least not yet.
When I suggested a hot hatch, say in the theme of a VW Golf or 206 GTI, IG said, "But it's French - are you sure it's you?". He then went on to further insult me by suggesting an Australian Holden or Ford might be more my cup of tea...Ouch.
I think it's important to take time to explain just how shallow we car guys can be. For car guys a car is an extension of oneself. Like a favourite t shirt or clothes that sum up how we see ourselves, a car is an integral part of how we want others to see us. You may think that a Toyota Corolla is a good practical car; and you'd be right. A Toyota Corolla is also a sensible car choice - they run and run, are cheap to fix if they break, and the resale value is often good. But although these are all perfectly good reasons to buy a Corolla, they are also the exact same reasons that send the car guys running and screaming for the hills at the thought of owning said car. Does a car guy want to drive what is effectively the plaid suit of the car world? I think not! Buying the Corolla says you either dont care what people think about you, or worse, you really think its a good car. Either way the car guy laughs at the Corolla driver, and would rather spend time on the side of the road fixing his Italian 70's sportcar with crap electrics (BUT with lots of street cred), simply because he can talk at length about the whole thing with his car buddies later. The more exotic the fault the more worthwhile the car.
To the car guy it's an accepted fact that the more exclusive or stupid your car choice, the more you'll be happy with the choice. Take a V8, or something exceedingly small - either is fine. Pick a standout colour and make it as impractical as possible. Or better yet, choose not to own a car - because for the car guy it's not what car you drive today, but the potential car you could drive tomorrow.

3 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Everyone is driving Mini Coopers over here ... they look stunning for the man or woman about town.

Hey darlin', I drove a corolla, a corona wagon too ... pre-Istanbul, then again, it might be said that I didn't really give a hoot about what people thought and got on with living.

They're still fixing their cars meanwhile I've lived in two different countries in the last 3 years and had a hell of a lot of fun besides .... you should try it. Got some red wine left from the wedding, white too actually ... have to hurry though lol.

Mark J said...

Coopers are so cool - The "car guys" would definately like them even tho they are rebadged BMW's. The "car guy" would probably say something like..."The new mini's are too heavy with all their ancillary equipment - who needs air con in a mini anyway? I'd rather have a 1275 GT with twin tanks and a big valve Cooper head anyday"....Owning a Capri sort of puts me on the outer with these guys - but I have hopes of buying a decent car one day.
And as for you owning a Corolla - there was no slight intended. Honest :)

Anonymous said...

I must say how sorry I was when at first I took the piss about your struggle with the choice of car. Now that I've had a bit of a think I can now say I understand.
I have to think like you, a car is a bit like a super-heros costume, what does this car say about me to the rest of the world..

Once apon a time you looked in a lustful way at the batman RX7, this one is easy, in black..."BATMAN" in red "THE FLASH"

Lately some of your own choices have been a bit sad, your mates aren't helping either, Toyota Corolla?, this is the super-hero equivalent of an "Invisible Man" costume.

Mark you are not the invisible man, your not bat man, maybe you are the spleen????