Friday, August 11, 2006

It's all over


I faced today with a certain trepidation. It's my last day in Queenstown - tomorrow I head back to Dunnoz until Tuesday, when I fly back to Auckland.
As always there have been a few upsets during my time away, mostly involving work. It's amazing how a change in working conditions can upset people, especially when communication from management is poor. I've gotten used to change over the last few years, but I've never brought into the "Who moved my Cheese" arguement, which basically states everything changes and adapting to change is the best thing you can do - not, "they" hasten to add, look for cheese outside your current job. Like most people I look at the whole package - if "they" keep reducing my package I may choose to leave - and honestly - if you're not prepared to do that, you might as well ask your boss to treat you like shit. Believe me - they tend to in those situations anyway.
New Zealander's as a whole work too damn hard these days - dont get me wrong, that's not always a bad thing; there just has to be a balance between your work and home life. New Zealander's have to strive to find that balance, perhaps in the process we may manage to reduce those horrific suicide numbers we hear about all the time.
On a lighter note I'm trying to think of what to countdown to on my countdown timer now skiing is over - If you have any suggestions drop me an email. In the meantime I'll play with a few ideas. Oh - and if the tone of my posts are a little "blue" over the next couple of weeks - I'll get over it. It's just the South Island is a completely different place to visit than the North, and it takes a bit of time to aclimatise once you get back.

3 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Oh oh oh, says the chick at the back of the room waving her hand in the air ... Countdown to your European trip ... quickly, before you have kids and things :)

Anonymous said...

Now that it is over I do feel a little sad, but We drank vodka, ogled serving wenches, ate pizza and skied safely within our limits like old people tend to do. so I don't think you should feel sad but you should restart the counter for next years trip...I will be coming and will spend a bit more time with you slow old bastards.

Di Mackey said...

cough cough.

ig ... his counter is doing europe first.