Thursday, July 13, 2006

Zidane is my hero


To those who say "violence doesnt solve anything" I say bullshit - sometimes it does. When I was thirteen I was picked on by a kid the same age as me. After "turning the other cheek" this kid continued to bully on a greater scale.
Eventually after putting up with this for a couple of weeks, I turned around, grabbed the kid and pushed him up against the classroom wall. With as much strength i could muster, I lifted him off the floor, and threatened to smash his face in. The kid turned as white as a sheet and never - ever - hassled me again. Needless to say I didn't need to hit him. My only regret is I didnt stand up to him sooner.

I hate sledging in sports - I believe it's uncalled for. Ironically in Cricket it is quite common. I remember a story where an Australian bowler called the batsmen he was bowling to a number of insults during the his "over". At the end of the over he smirked and said.. Geeze youre a fat c$%t. Having had enough of this, the batter said "It's only because your wife gives me a cookie every time I shag her". Well - the bowler lost it - and ranted at the batsman that he had overstepped the "ethical" mark by mentioning his wife. Funny as that may seem to some, I dont believe this sort of behaviour should be tolerated by any sport.

I guess my point is that some things are worth fighting for. Zidane has endured many "slights" during his career, and the fact he responded to the taunt, points to the severity of what was said.

To his headbutt I say well done - the fact that Materazzi deny's saying anything that would upset Zidane points to his own character; a character that I find lacking.

I just wish the media would look at the antagonist with as much zeal as the respondant.

If someone called my mother a whore (the latest rumour doing the rounds) - I'd do more than headbutt his chest - and I promise you that.

1 comment:

Di Mackey said...

Okay ... hadn't thought of it that way, I was too caught up in wanting Italy to win ;)