Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Orignal Coffee Girl

Images have been changed to protect the innocent!

I think i was seventeen when I met Coffee Girl. As I recall, I first met her when my mum organized her as a blind date for my friend Raymond. To my recollection, Mum's never done this again - although if I could trust her choices were anywhere as good as her first attempt for Raymond - Id tell her to go for it tomorrow. If I could trust is another question I hasten to add....

Anyway - I don't think Raymond spoke to me for a couple of weeks afterward, because the blind date was for his brother's 21st (which I also attended), and I believe I spent the whole night talking to her.

Twenty three years later I'm still taking to her - and to me - it sometimes seems that little time has past since that first night together.

As we make our lives here, there and everywhere, we cross many people's paths. Some who we think will be lifelong friends quickly become distant memories, while other's drift away years later without a thought. With Coffee Girl, time or distance makes no difference. Last year I caught up with her in Sydney, Australia while I was there on a course. With us there's never an awkward moment to break the ice - it's like we never stopped talking. Seriously- years can (and have) gone by, even between phone calls - yet neither of us take this as a slight. I think the truth is that we think of each other often: I know I do.

Looking back to that 21st, I would have never realized she would come to be such a close friend. It's funny; I know we'll always be there for each other, but for the life of me I don't even want to know why I know these things - for me it's just a given.

I know what you're thinking but you're wrong. In truth, although I probably fell for her on more than one occasion, it was obvious (eventually) that she had her own trail to blaze, and that was that. I believe that much of this infatuation was due to the fact that she was an older woman (by six months) but hey that's a lot of difference at seventeen! She's always been more daring, and takes way more chances than me - and that I admire. I wonder if she thinks people see her this way? I doubt it. This girl rocks!

She's attractive, intelligent, fun, and a lovely girl. Never a woman tho - because in some way I see her as if we're both seventeen still. Well she's seventeen and a half - but who's counting.

Love ya girl! - See you soon. :)

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, I racked my brains but I think I missed this stage huh ...

Green Street Granny

Mark J said...

I dont think you've met her - she's been away from Duedin for a long time now. She's back in New Zealand now, but who knows for how long. She's finding the winter's a bit harsh here. Hopefully summer will suit her better.