Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My kind of town

The Dunedin Octagon

I was going to write a little bit about my home town, but I've found that Wikipedia has already done a good job here.

And yes: to those of you that have been here, the sky is blue, and note, not a drop of rain in sight. :)

The Dunedin Railway Station

It's fair to say I don't get home enough, and when the time comes to leave, it's never easy. After the beautiful weather I've experienced over the last six days I can't believe I gathered up enough courage to leave in the first place. It's been now almost four years I've been away - and those years have simply flown.

This visit I've spent the majority of my time visiting friends, and family: I've found it hard to "get over" how quickly my friends kids have grown. And as with all good holidays, I've drunk and eaten too much good food - I'm not looking forward to the running required to offset all this good cheer.

The Dunedin Town Hall

I think a shift back to Dunedin will be on the cards eventually. I wonder however, where I might find a place to fit when I return. Until that day comes I have until Anzac Day to make the most of my time here.

3 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Thanks for sharing the homesickness around ... ;)

I've booked tickets home for June 1 but still have to earn $2000nz in the land where they have messed me around for almost one year and where I'm still not legally allowed to work.

Most recent eyebrow raising fact was them telling me, with a straight face, that my passport isn't proof enough of nationality.

Sometimes, I get a Tourette's Syndrome-like desire, my grandfather fought here and got rid of the Germans for you ... what's all the paperwork about.

Anyway, glad all is good down there! Off to Ieper (ypres) and Mesines for Anzac Day, with the Kiwi contingent here in Belgium.

Mark J said...

Perhaps this is because - like the rest of us - the passport photo doesn't look a bit like its holder?

Sorry about the homesickness - will forward a suitable image to make you feel better about being where you are.

http://www.city-apartments.co.nz/christchurch.jpg

Cantabrians - gotta hate them!

Di Mackey said...

:) I just realised where my idea to write up Dunedin came from today ...