Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday?


God: Thou hast forsaken My Church!
Homer: Uh, kind of, b-but...
God: But what!
Homer: I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell?
God: Hmm. You've got a point there.

From Homer the Heretic

I realise now, that my last post may not have been entirely appropriate; given the fact Easter is upon us.
If either of the two people reading this blog are offended by my impending minister-ship, I offer my apologies before I am struck by lightening or some sort of Jihad. Rest assured there is no celibacy clause Green St Girl: that was the first thing I checked.
Religion is a funny beast. I have my own beliefs, and fortunately for you they don't involve;
Forcing them down your throat.
Singing and dancing.
Or speaking in tongues. Ok - perhaps the odd stream of swear words bursting out without warning - it's tourettes I tell you!

I wonder sometimes, where we would be without a certain moral core, and although religion has a lot to be blamed for, I can't help but wonder where we would be "here" without its fundamental teachings.

Whilst it is true to state in the past some of the nastiest people I have personally known regularily attend church services, this is no longer the case. I don't hang with them anymore.
Any one person in this life who feels they have a get out of jail free card, that allows them to do unto others in any way they see fit because they attend church, would be in for a big shock if I was God. There's no room in anyones master plan for that sort of bullshit.

So be you Christian or not, enjoy this day - but in your own way. Many have made sacrifices that allow us to live the lives we do. Every now and again we should remember that we have a responsibility to make the most of the life we were gifted.

No comments: