Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Acoustics Sets

I always used to think that if you stripped down an artist to their core essence, the the result would always speak volumes, either for or against them. I was beginning to think the same of people.



However, because life isn't always that cut and dried, I also heard the lead singer from Twisted Sister say something like how acoustic sets by rock bands proving their worth was a load of rubbish. "Take Tracey Chapman and put her in front of two Marshall stacks and an electric guitar - and see how well she rides the lightning", he said.

I have to agree with the man - and with that admission comes a lot of grey, in what I was rather hoping was a black and white world.

Turns out that I know less than nothing.

4 comments:

Kiwis in Huldenberg said...

That is like asking Sharon Corr to exel at Vivaldi ... she probably could. But the point is there are genres and there is a very good reason for this.

Di Mackey said...

Ahh, welcome to 'that' world.
xo

Mark J said...

Kiwi's - youre right about the whole genre thing, but back in the mid to late 80's when the whole unplugged series was driven by MTV, the acoustic set was almost deemed as an acid test for any musician. It's still nice to see bands stripped down tho. I remember seeing Kenny Rogers playing guitar once on TV. He looked at the audience and with a smile said "Yes- but can he play it".Although I wasnt a big fan of his music I respect the fact that he had the "chops" to play an instrument in front of an audience. :)

Mark J said...

Di -
Always preferred it black and white, but I guess you're right. We all cross over eventually :)