Monday, January 07, 2008

Learn to be still

I had a nightmare last night. Well, in truth, probably just another bizarre dream rooted in substance; either way an unpleasant experience.

In this dream I am contemplating a return to retraining in my particular field of expertise. After looking at the work ahead, and my dead grandfathers notes on the subject matter, I realize that I am no longer interested in this path. I go to find my course supervisor to tell him I'm pulling out of the course, and to my surprise the classroom has now been turned into a Dance Academy. I wake depressed and confused.

So, on the face of it this is a simple "I've wasted my whole life" type of dream. At least in the dream I realize this, and am prepared to make a change in some way; a positive step one might say.

I think it's fair to say I'm driven, and therein lies the problem. I need to learn to be still. The sad thing, is that I realize this is not an uncommon occurrence. There are millions of people in the same predicament the world over, and no universal answer to be found.

NFG would say I should enjoy the now a little more, and she would be right. But when you've spent your whole life going from goal to goal, it's a hard beast to turn around on a whim. Still you have to try - don't you.

4 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Ummm, come to Europe this year ... we need to talk about the whole 'wasted my whole life dream'. I think I'm so far ahead of you in what I haven't achieved in my life.

That aside, I loved that the course had turned into dance academy. There was a slideshow that ran in my head and it was all kind of cool ... thanks for the smile. You in a leotard and tights wasn't a place I had been before.

Mark J said...

I hasten to add I wasn't wearing a tutu - that, my friend, is another type of nightmare entirely :)

Di Mackey said...

;)

ren powell said...

Ah, a dance academy! Get back in there and dance!