Saturday, May 05, 2007

You dive too?


After my nasty run in with the Russian, I have become increasingly wary of online dating sites.
Jay posted a comment which has haunted me since;

I'm not sure if the Internet dating thing really works out in the long run,
but I did think that lying was kind of a given.


This upset me, because I had to agree with her - people really do misrepresent themselves.
The question I need to ask is why?
If someone falls for your profile - won't they be slightly disappointed when they find you aren't some kind of superhero - that maybe, yes, at one time, you really did have a gym membership, and yes you would like to learn to dive, if the whole idea of water didn't have to apply.

Obviously, people tend to say the best things about themselves - but how much is intention, and how much is reality?

Of the few women I have loved - none went to the gym. And no woman I know dives. So I'm guessing this isn't so much a dating agency I've signed into, but a club of undersea gym fanatics, who love tall dark, and handsome men, who in turn are cocky (but not too cocky), can hold an intelligent conversation, and have a great sense of humour. Oh also- they must absolutely "get me", and love my cats.

So where are all the girls who hog the sheets, fart in bed? The ones who walk up behind you after a bad day, and put their arms around you - linking hands in front, resting their head on your shoulder? You know - the ones who make your life worthwhile?

Not at any damn undersea gym, one suspects!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh just give up Mark, the right girl isn't on the internet. I've looked. You'd better just marry your sister like the people of Alabama do, at least then you know what your getting yourself into, you have lived together for 18 years at the highest and you know all their dirty little secrets.
Thx for the comments btw, so what are you doing after you washed your hair ;)

Anonymous said...

I am Marks Honest Profile.

I like to restore Ford Capri motor cars and Chopper bicycles, in my spare time I like to watch science fiction television series and some times I like to play my guitar in the dark in my underwear.

I have a bit of a thing for Meg Ryan and don't like cats much, I will get drunk and do something stupid at least three times a year.

I like go go away and do guy stuff with with my mates this may include and is not limited to...

The Melbourne Grand Prix
Ski trip in Queenstown
Going to strip bars with IG
Smoking Cigars
Drinking
Being a bit of a lad.



As the honest profile is just not going to work you will have to give up finding a partner on the internet and do it the old fashioned way.....
Mail order bride

Mark J said...

Hmm - except for the paying guitar in my underwear (I go commando)you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Tho the Meg Ryan fixation was probably more Big Noses's thing, and i really hate the after taste of cigars in the morning....

Are you single? :)

Jay said...

The internet makes lying slightly easier, but from what I can tell, much of the early stages of all dating usually involves a little deception...or at least misdirection. I don't know if it's insecurity, or if we're just so eager to make a good impression...it seems a little contrary though. If we want a real connection, it seems best to start out with some honesty,

Mark J said...

I think the average internet dating profile is you on potentially your best day, but if that wasnt bad enough you include things you're planning to do. Frankly I'd rather deal with an honest profile (as meantioned above). But who'd date someone as crazy as themselves? :)

-Ysadora said...

It's easy to find the wrong people in the internet, but it is much easier to lose them and find other people to take up their place in your inbox.

Brew King said...

Hot tubbing rocks! Also, fondue and drunken late night trampolining are not to be sneezed at either.

As usual IG has got it half right... that is to say that he glimpsed the right answer and then went on to write something totally the opposite.

The point he was trying to make is that one must lie frequently at the beginning of a relationship and then continually if it becomes long term. This is the way of things, I could explain further but that would be like explaining why the sky is blue - It just is people!

As far as sheet hoggers and bed farters go I'll take a good work ethic and a strong libido over a hug from behind any day (unless it's the prelude to a "reach around" that is!).