Sunday, May 27, 2007

Country AND Western

Balance comes from a love of everything - and this is especially true of music. The structure and progression of any genre can help another - yes, even country music!

I love all kinds of music, and including, as we often joke, BOTH Country and Western. Recently, among other artists, I've been listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station. In an interview Alison was once asked what it was about sad songs that connected with her.

I love the feeling of that sadness. It's just... it just continues to be so interesting to me. And you know, to sing those songs night after night... I just love it... that sad feeling.
And to think you can sing these same words over and over - and they're from someone else, because I'm not writing them..... but that I can feel that; it's so moving.
When I can feel that I think maybe somebody else is feeling that - I love getting to that place, and feeling that loss - it's familiar for everybody. But there's something magical about this three minute section of time that you're telling somebody else's story.

Mary Chapin Carpenter has also always been a favourite. Here's a sample of her works. Enjoy (if you can)


1 comment:

ren powell said...

Well as the namesake's (rightfully or not) inheritance of Karen Carpenter's voice and the. . . well. . . enthusiasm of Harry Chapin- how could she go wrong?