Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy Endings

A more interesting couple.

Sometimes I find myself looking for different endings to the films I watch.
All too often, in order to fulfill an expectation or a wallet, movie executives dish up what is commonly known as a Hollywood Ending.
Critics hate it, and so do I.
I think most people who saw the Devils Advocate would agree that the last 2 minutes were better left on the cutting floor; that Pirates of the Caribbean would be infinitely more interesting if Johnny Depp and Keira Knightly left that insipid Orlando Bloom character behind them as they carried on their pirating ways hand in hand as the credits roll: But no.
Do you really believe that Meg Ryan would give up her entire "nest egg" to a guy who she met three days earlier in French Kiss? That Tom Hanks and Robin Wright would really be together in Forrest Gump? That Meg Ryan (again) would rush to the Empire State building in the off-chance of meeting Tom Hanks (again) in Sleepless in Seattle? Don't even talk to me about Richard Gere and Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

I'm not sure how so many people can buy into this whole romantic notion on the silver screen, but when confronted with similar opportunities in their own lives, often run for the cover of inaction or cynicism?

I wish I knew - pehaps because they believe, deep down inside, that it's a load of bollocks. I truely have no idea.

I guess my eventual point is - Long after leaving the comfort of the movie theatre, if the slightest of those hidden sentiments bled into the real world - I can't help but believe we'd all be better off.

Hope is a good thing people!

5 comments:

Mark J said...

I am so unsure about this post. It evolved from something else - but given the time invested I was loathe to delete the whole thing and start again.

Still - it is different - and therefore is still here - (for now)

Anonymous said...

I think we watch it because in the movies people do the things we wished we could do. Sometimes you hear people talking about old loves and you just feel that if they had no responsibility what so ever in the world, they would rush out and go find them, or that's what I think. Who wouldn't? If you knew you could live happily and weathly ever after.
But unfortunately for us, the world don't work that way :(

Mark J said...

I agree - perhaps it would be better if we had the courage to do what we wanted to do, regardless of the consequences - the world would be a more interesting place - this was basically the ghist of my post.

Do it Manic - just dont get arrested!!!!

ren powell said...

I think the whole concept of romantic love is a myth (blogged about it a while back)- but I will admit that about 20 years ago I would have trekked to New York. Not that anyone would have been there.

Mark J said...

I'll have to find that post!
I think we'd all like to believe in romantic love - and that perhaps, is our saving grace. Even though it may not be attainable we still want it to happen. jay was right - we're all suckers :)