Thursday, February 15, 2007

The fine art of saying nothing


I was thinking about an old quote the other day. Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.
There are a lot of reasons to shut up: least of all to listen.

I also remember someone saying their are two types of people; those who listen, and those who wait for their turn to speak. It's easier to wait to speak I guess - but of late I've been making an effort to listen.

Last year a close friend was trying to tell me something, and following the rules above I was trying to listen, but at the same time another factor was playing out. This friend of mine is not one to talk about these things - and I know that. When the conversation started, I became acutely aware of the speakers discomfort, and at that moment I just wanted it to stop. I wanted the whole moment to disappear and for the earth to swallow me whole. So as the listener, I interrupted and allowed the conversation to end in a tidy manner.
I was relieved, and the situation quickly passed into memory.
The problem is - I couldn't let it go - the memory of that moment still haunts me; and now I know why. I didn't end the conversation just for my friend - I ended it for myself as well.

If I could go back - I'd just shut up and say nothing. Regardless of my own discomfort, these words, once spoken, could not be unsaid.
Now I'll always wonder what I missed out on hearing.

I think it may have been important.

No comments: