Sunday, December 30, 2007

Granny J has left the building


I'm not sure how to start this one.
Mum called me this morning at 7am and told me what I already knew before I picked up the phone; my last remaining grandparent passed away last night.
We all knew that it was going to happen; with a trip to the nursing home early yesterday morning came a realization, and a mere twelve hours later she is no longer with us. I can't help but think it was a pretty good move on her part.
All this may sound callous, but if you read a much earlier post here you'd realise that she hasnt been herself for the longest time. I hope she's much happier now, especially with the knowledge that her declining health is no longer a concern to her surviving children. Perhaps the perpetual fog that clouded her mind of late has now also lifted, and she is herself once again - telling her old stories over and over to anyone who would care to listen. One suspects that all hell would break loose if anyone dared to correct or interrupt her during the best bits - she could be awfully determined at times :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences, Mark.

Frankie said...

I'm so sorry about your gran.

Mark J said...

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I think it was a welcome release for us all - it's sad, but at the same time a certain peace is in the air, If you know what I mean.

ren powell said...

I know this comes late- but I am sorry in that good way we can be sorry when someone dies after a long life. There should be another word for that. Peace.