Monday, February 13, 2006

The Great Auckland Swap meet.


One of the weirdest things about Auckland, is the non organic rubbish pickup every two years. Every two years you simply put out all the rubbish you can't put in a recycling bin, or kleensak, next to the curb to be picked up by the council.
If it wasn't odd enough that for a couple of weeks your subdivision looks like a South African shanty town, you still have to deal with the people taking stuff off your pile to take home.
I'd like to point out that this is not a casual "theft" by someone walking past who picks up an item and continues: some arrive in trucks to take your stuff away. One of my workmates put out an old broken shower door, and the next day the aluminium surrounds were stripped off and only the rubber and glass remained. I guess it's just a redistribution of wealth - well at least as far as rubbish is concerned.
As these collections cycle through different parts of Auckland throughout every second year, it must be a full time job for some of these guys.
I cant help but wonder if I should join this madness and throw some stuff out - but I'd always worry that my stuff wouldn't be worth collecting. What would I say to the neighbours then?

No comments: