Thursday, July 24, 2008

Microsoft is Dead

You can kill a head right? Anyone can kill a head.

Well actually, someone else actually pointed this out about a year ago, so I cant take credit for the headline.

At this point I must mention my love of all things i and Apple-ey, and I wont even mention my recent epic struggle with a friends Vista build. The memory is too painful still. Oh the horror...

So, I'll just cut and paste some bits - because this guy Paul Graham writes it better than I ever could...

What killed them? Four things, I think, all of them occurring simultaneously in the mid 2000s.

The most obvious is Google. There can only be one big man in town, and they're clearly it. Google is the most dangerous company now by far, in both the good and bad senses of the word. Microsoft can at best limp along afterward.


Microsoft saw the danger of Javascript and tried to keep it broken for as long as they could. [1] But eventually the open source world won, by producing Javascript libraries that grew over the brokenness of Explorer the way a tree grows over barbed wire.

Microsoft's biggest weakness is that they still don't realize how much they suck. They still think they can write software in house. Maybe they can, by the standards of the desktop world. But that world ended a few years ago.

You heard it here last folks...

No comments: