Friday, January 26, 2007

Solving the Mystery of the dead cat


If you bring me a dead cat, all I can tell you is that it's dead - and it was a cat.
But if you hand me a dead cat, and you tell me you found it in the middle of the road - Ha!!! - What killed it?

A car?
A truck?
Heat exhaustion?

Now you're getting it -
OK.... you find the dead cat in the kitchen of your favourite restaurant....
What killed it?

The Chef?

What are we talking about here?
Context.


Context?

Context: the difference between road kill - and a meal.

Today I had the unfortunate experience on being a part of a disagreement between my firm and a member of the public. Given the facts, a course of action was undertaken without the benefit of context.
In fairness we did all we could to get the problem sorted, but now all the facts are out of the bag I'm not so sure our method was the best after all. Hindsight is 20:20
Suffice to say the two parties are working together to sort the problem, but I feel somewhat responsible - another good reason for not dealing with people, technology isn't as tricky.

Sometimes even when you get what you want - you lose.

7 comments:

Di Mackey said...

Did you pull over and photograph that cat ???

Gross, Mr J.

Mark J said...

I'm complicated and not easily understood :)

Mark J said...

By the way - the clever bit in itallics is from "The Earth to the Moon" - an HBO special about Americas' quest to land a man on the moon - stirring stuff. Back when we could actually achieve something stellar - if you forgive the pun.

Di Mackey said...

I guess the cat saw stars ...

Anonymous said...

my mate Schrodinger he had a cat just like that one, I wonder if it is his?

Di Mackey said...

Maybe Mark was slightly envious of your mate Schrodinger ... after all, he said he was a complicated bloke.

Mark J said...

Once the photo was taken, the action of taking the photo itself impacted on the outcome. Until the cat was "seen" the cat was neither alive or dead - but instead was in a neither dead nor alive state. This cat is obviously dead so can not possibly be Schrodinger's cat.
Perhaps it's Schrodinger's neighbours cat?